There are four new episodes of The Degrasscast in the pipeline so I thought I might try to briefly defend its existence. A couple of things we should get out of the way immediately; I know Degrassi is a show for teens, I know it’s a show for Canadian teens and I know it’s a show for Canadian teens written by adults who do krokodil then read the paper, regurgitate what they’ve read onto their maple syrup stained laptops and call that a script. Despite all this I watch it relentlessly, talk to my friends about it and have even started a podcast that I feel the need to defend in a blog post(!yikes!). So why do all this stuff when I know full well that there are better pieces of media I could be watching and discussing? There are a couple of reasons and I will talk about them in list form:
REASONS I DO DEGRASSCAST
- Not a lot of other podcasts about it
- Most of the “good shows” on tv aren’t even “good”
- This show is easy for me to understand
- It’s fun to force meaning onto meaningless things
- The colors are very bright and that’s nice
- One or two of the actors is a good actor
- It feels good on my brain for some reason
- I no longer have any “taste” or “discretion”
- Everybodys got a podcast now why not me
- I’ve already seen the Sopranos
- What’s the story with Sopranos podcasts?
- There must be a lot of big ones already
So I hope that clears it up. The podcast is back and it’s because of the reasons listed above. I hope you like it. Sorry about the weird formatting thing with the numbers, it;s my fault but I dont care about it. Let me know if nobody’s done a good Sopranos podcast yet.